Thursday, August 17, 2017

Here's how to lower the Oneida County sales tax 1/2 percent quickly

By now, it should be clear that I am a reform-minded candidate. Lowering the 8.75% sales tax which again and again I hammer home is the highest in NY State outside NYC is one of my main goals. To be competitive with our neighboring counties, I see it as a need, not a luxury.

I've been asked to specifically answer how to accomplish it.

It's simple: Take the $15+ million dollars a year from the Oneida Nation settlement and instead of giving it to the county executive to distribute as his personal slush fund (aka pork at election time), put it towards lowering the sales tax. If 1/4 percent in sales tax equals 7 million dollars, then 1/2 a percent is 14 million dollars. That leaves over 1 million dollars in surplus on that budget line alone.

Where, pray God, did I get these numbers? (1/4% = $7 million in revenue and $15+ million from OIN annual payments)?

Why, our District 15 representative has kindly posted these on his personal web page. Visit jimdonofrio.com and read his posts for yourself. Thanks for posting that information, Jim. It is helpful.

I see he has changed his words on the sales tax issue. He dropped the word 'eventual' and I have a glimmer of hope he is somewhat serious about lowering the sales tax because if the voters honor me, I will be looking for partners on both sides of the aisle to accomplish sales tax reduction. I don't care who they are as long as they are serious about lowering the sales tax levy.

Lowering the sales tax 1/2 percent will put us on par with Herkimer County's sales tax rate and this would be a monumental improvement.

And not eventually, either. How about ... as they say in software programming, real soon now?

Primary Day is Tuesday, September 12. Polls are open from noon to 9pm. If you are a District 16 Republican or Conservative voter, again I respectfully ask for your vote. Let's make Oneida County great again.

Thank you.

-Don

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now for National Politics: The Humor is the Profit

Last week I received an unexpected piece of mail. It was a request for a political donation from a US Senator from the Boston area. Yes, Ms....