Friday, August 11, 2017

Lawn signs and some humor

I hate political lawn signs, but I recognize them as a necessary tool in the election process. And so it is I succumb and put them during the political season.

Sometimes they disappear. Sometimes, they reappear just when I think somebody copped one I put up. I've learned to keep a laissez-faire attitude about them whether they are mine or my opponents sign. I'm just glad that there are enough nice people out there that will put up with them because they actually are a pain to the homeowners who have to move them to mow the lawn. For this, I apologize. But when I do put up a sign, I keep a list of where they are so I can go take them down after the election. Nobody but nobody likes to see political signs up after the election.

Let me tell you about the gaffe I made recently putting up one of my signs. While I was out collecting signatures in the petition drive to get on the ballot, one person in an area I was not really intimately familiar with volunteered his lawn for a sign. Thanking him profusely, I wrote his name and address down on my sign location sheet. I told him I'd be back in August with a sign.

I kept my word. On August 1st, I started putting up signs and visited his road. Somehow, when I wrote down the house number, I forgot to close the loop on a '9' and read it as '7' ...  and I plunked down a sign at the wrong address. A day or 2 later, somebody told me my sign was in the ditch. I revisited the house and sure enough, it was down. The homeowner was in the driveway and told me he didn't like signs on his lawn. I pulled out my sheet to verify it was at the right address and asked him if he was Mr. So and So, and he said no. It was about then I realized I screwed up and took a closer look at my sheet. Realizing my mistake, I apologized profusely and he graciously accepted my apology. I told him I too would be offended if somebody came out of the blue and plunked a sign on my lawn. Luckily, he had a sense of humor about it and let me off easy. I drove to the right address and planted the sign.

Lesson learned: Make sure to put the sign at the right address. Otherwise, it can get embarrassing.

Signs serve 2 purposes: 1, they get your name out and 2, somebody in the neighborhood is telling passersby that they are supporting candidate so and so. I like to get my signs on the lawns of people that can actually vote for me because if they put up a sign for me, they are likely to vote for me. The signs that are placed in no-mans land serve to publicize your name, but nobody at that address will be voting for you. If I absolutely can't get my sign into an area I want, then I will settle for a second best. But I very much prefer to put it on a lawn with real people who vote; that's where I feel it will work better.

So when I see 3 places in a row where my opponents signs have cropped up, and look to see who the voters are at those addresses ... and discover there is only 1 voter, I know the signs could be used more effectively. That, to me is a waste.

And sometimes, you see political signs placed in front of a business. Businesses don't vote, people do. So when you see a sign in front of a business, it's there for name recognition. Also, there is a downside to putting your lawn sign in front of a business: Smart business owners know enough not to advertise their political views because it might cost them money when somebody who supports the other candidate suddenly stops patronizing them.

And then there are places that, as a candidate, I absolutely do not want to see my sign in front of. Here's an example of my opponents sign placed well outside her district ... in front of a business that I would not want to tell the world I regularly patronize:



Bottom line is, both of us are putting up plenty of signs. A wise old person once reminded me that signs don't vote, people vote. And that's what I'm counting on in this race for the Legislative seat.

Please get out and vote on Primary Day, Sept 12. Your vote might be the one that changes things. I respectfully ask for your vote.

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ain't Nobody Got Time For That

It's the Christmas season, so let's take a look at who has been naughty and who has been nice in Upstate NY. This year, I confess ...