The Oneida County Board of Legislators met in their regularly scheduled meeting today. As reported in the Utica Observer-Dispatch, they met in executive session and came out with a decision that they will pay 60% of the proposed cost of the parking garage (currently 43.5 million and climbing). First, decisions to spend taxpayers money are, by law done in open session, not executive session. Second, the City of Utica is in no position to pay the remaining 40% of the cost. The Mayor has been very clear on this.
And third, darn few people even want a hospital built downtown.
But the County Executive is pushing this idea and he is getting support from his Republican legislators.One of these legislators is Mrs. Pratt, who I am running against.Of course, bucking the County Executive and Board Chairman do not make you popular on the 10th floor ... so don't look for Mrs. Pratt to be a maverick on this issue. It won't happen.
Another of my campaign planks is open government and compliance with the open meeting law. Wouldn't it nice if you could read the minutes of the Legislature online like almost very town and village in the area does already? Wouldn't it be nice if you could see how your legislator voted on issues? The clerk records the minutes, now let the public read them.
Let me make my position very clear: I will not vote to spend one nickel for any cost associated with putting a new hospital downtown, regardless of how the money is designated to be spent there.
No Hospital downtown. No hospital parking garage downtown. No Casino downtown.
If you agree and reside in District 16 (Bridgewater, Paris and the southern part of New Hartford), please vote for me on September 12 in the Republican and Conservative primaries if you are an enrolled voter in either party.
By now, it should be clear that I am a reform-minded candidate. Lowering the 8.75% sales tax which again and again I hammer home is the high...
In a previous blog, I talked about the proposed 195' communications tower that Mrs. Pratt did not vote against. I titled it "Profil...
Please, take a few minutes and view this, thanks. -Don Oh yeah: Please vote on Primary Day, September 12. And as always, I respectfu...
This morning I had the pleasure of being on the Bill Keeler Show - WIBX, 950 AM. It was a quick few minutes and Bill asked me some pointed q...